Alticast to demo Windmill product suite for cable, IPTV, and more
Alticast will showcase its Windmill suite of solutions. Designed with a modular approach, Windmill is a complete product ecosystem that allows operators and device manufacturers to distribute content freely and securely in a multiple screen environment. Windmill offers components that can combine to create an intuitive, true multiscreen experience and supports HTML5 and Android, which are quickly gaining popularity in the broadcast space. Windmill is available for cable, satellite, DTT, IPTV, OTT, Cloud-based delivery, and hybrid environments.
Windmill encompasses a range of solutions:
- AltiView provides Windmill with a rich, robust user interface allowing for easy content discovery across broadcast and OTT content, content recommendations and an integrated social experience to engage consumers on a deeper level. It has an innovative User Interface/ User Experience (UI/UX) design for richer consumer experiences
- AltiPlatform, a high performance middleware core, draws on Alticast’s heritage as a first-class global middleware provider. It includes modular support for HTML5, Android, GEM, HbbTV, and Blu-ray and provides easy access to standards-based TV functionality and innovative web and mobile services
- AltiProtect provides flexible and cost-effective CAS and DRM management solutions that empower operators to distribute content freely and securely
- AltiAd is an advertising platform that helps operators to generate revenue in the multiscreen environment
- AltiMetrics provides insight into audience response for programs and interactive services.
Positioned as a complete ecosystem, Windmill is future-proofed, allowing operators to add services or tweak later as required. According to the company, it can also be easily integrated with third-party solutions where necessary and eliminates compatibility issues to give a consistent user experience across different devices through its open-standard approach. Windmill has been carefully designed to support both legacy set-top boxes that have already been deployed, as well as new and future set-tops.
“We’re looking forward to showing operators and device manufacturers attending IBC just how flexible Windmill is,” said Thomas Jung, CMO, Alticast. “Our modular approach means that our customers can pick and choose which of our solutions they want according to their requirements and bring exciting, rich digital TV services to their viewers. As the market shifts towards interactive TV becoming the norm, it’s important that operators and device manufacturers can make the transition without incurring excessive costs or having to disregard old infrastructures. Windmill does all this and is based on open industry standards making it flexible and therefore cost-effective, including support for Android and HTML5.”
Alticast is currently working with KT, Korea’s largest IPTV service provider, to develop a next-generation set-top-box for KT’s satellite and IPTV hybrid service, which will provide subscribers with a seamless entertainment experience which combines the stability of broadcast with the richness of broadband in an easy to navigate user interface. Alticast is also working with one of Korea’s largest cable MSOs to deliver next generation digital TV services by the close of 2012.
The company also recently announced the European launch of its hybrid Home Gateway solution. The solution, which enables operators to deliver home entertainment experiences securely to any screen in the home, has an HTML5 user experience enabling the Home Gateway solution to support tablets, PCs, phones, thin clients and other screens.
Alticast’s solution supports a broad range of chipsets including STMicroelectronics, Broadcom and Intel and is available on both new and legacy platforms, supporting satellite, cable, terrestrial, IPTV and hybrid environments. Powered by the new Alticast Windmill software ecosystem, Alticast’s Home Gateway solution includes market-leading innovations both in its user interface and features. The solution supports HTML5, HbbTV, and DLNA.
“Families across the globe are increasingly expecting every screen in their home to provide them with interactive entertainment at the click of a button – Alticast delivers innovative solutions that make this possible,” said Thomas Jung, CMO, Alticast. “By keeping a close eye on the market and anticipating the standards being adopted, we cover all bases in OTT, interactive TV and Social TV to offer richer, more engaging experiences. For depth of solutions and flexibility Alticast is unrivalled as a provider of solutions for the home entertainment space and we look forward to showing how we provide multiple routes to giving viewers the exciting multiscreen interactive experiences they want and increasingly expect.”