Timeline Television and Racecourse Media Group team up for Dubai World Cup
Timeline Television joined Racecourse Media Group (RMG) to provide a broadcast solution for the world’s richest horse race, the $10m Dubai World Cup last weekend. Timeline facilities and crew supported RMG’s host production, course coverage and client broadcasters’ needs in delivering to audiences around the world.
RMG’s distribution network saw the Dubai World Cup reach over 100 territories worldwide and was shown live on broadcast channels in Australia, China, Japan, UK, Ireland, France, North America, Caribbean, Russia, Singapore and across MENA as well as reaching all of Eurosport’s 70-plus international territories.
The $30m Dubai World Cup fixture is a nine-race event held annually on the last Saturday in March and, since 2010, from the purpose-built Meydan Racecourse in Dubai. The Timeline facility has been installed for the full 20-fixture Meydan racing season and provides upgraded facilities and flexibility with a firm eye on the seamless expansion required to service the season.
The Dubai World Cup operations included the host facilities plus the Racecourse Media Group world presentation operation on site and facilities for other international broadcasters and racecourse coverage.
The RMG-produced world feed was fronted by presenters Nick Luck, Angus McNae, Rishi Persad, Oli Bell, Scott Hazleton, Zoe Cadman and the presentation was enhanced by the use of a Hego touchscreen, which was flown over from the UK for in-depth pre- and post-race analysis.
Two large galleries were provided; one produced the world race feed and the second the world studio show live on site.
Key technology included:
- SAM Sirius Router and Kahuna Vision Mixer to supply the world and event screen feeds
- Axon Cerebrum Control to control routing, associations, tallies and system control including operator touch screens tailored to each operational position.
- Riedel Artist Talkback system
- 10 Radio Cameras on a site wide RF network
- Sony cabled cameras
- EVS XT3 Playback Servers
- Downlinking services at Timeline’s London based Broadcast Centre in Ealing Studios
Complementing the complete facilities refresh that Timeline brought to the racecourse were some notable inclusions:
- Miniature RF horse Cam allowing post finish live interviews with jockeys
- Hawkeye Smart Replay; a season innovation allowing the stewards full flexibility in reviewing video content for rule infringement.
- ChyronHego Virtual Placement; giving virtual cues tied to course advertising.