IBC 2016: Verizon Digital Media Services outlines Live Streaming Solution
Verizon Digital Media Services has announced the availability of its Live Streaming Solution, designed to remove the complexity and high costs for broadcasters, venues, and event producers live-streaming content at scale.
The launch of the Live Streaming Solution coincides with key enhancements to the Verizon Digital Media Services platform, including workflow enhancements in the Uplynk Video Streaming service, enhanced monitoring tools in Network Operations Centers in Los Angeles and Ashburn, VA, and the availability of a managed-services team for day-of-show support.
“Many of the leading media and entertainment brands trust us to deliver hundreds of simultaneous, high-profile live events on any given day,” said Ralf Jacob, president of Verizon Digital Media Services. “The key learnings derived from years of experience with the largest live-streaming events are driving the improvements and offerings that we’re announcing today.”
Key features of the new Live Streaming Solution include:
- A cloud-based scheduler and an operator dashboard to provision encoders, manage live feeds, insert ad breaks, and push slates in the Uplynk Video Streaming service.
- Publishing a single live-stream URL that transitions seamlessly between pre-event, live, post-event, and VOD to greatly simplify the syndication of content to internal or third-party content-management systems and apps.
- Automatic and instant creation of a VOD asset upon completion of the event, without the need for re-encoding, which removes additional costs and delays.
- Real-time health monitoring and failover support for the Uplynk Video Streaming service’s Slicer application running onsite at the venue or at the point of origination.
- Continued expansion of the Edgecast content-delivery network (CDN) with global reach, including recently announced points of presence (PoPs) in South America, India, and Asia.
- End-to-end intelligence and insights, correlating viewing analytics with network performance.
- The ability to outsource day-of-show operations to the Verizon Digital Media Services events-operations staff.
“We offer a wide array of services for managing live events,” said Peter Gallagher, chief customer officer, Verizon Digital Media Services. “We have a full suite of self-service tools for customers that want to manage everything themselves. For those customers with a large number of live events, we have an outsourced master-control function that can interact directly with the venue.”