Vision Research Unveils Phantom Flex4K Camera
Vision Research (Booth C9046) is previewing the next member of its digital-cinema product line. At full acquisition resolution of 4096×2304, the Phantom Flex4K is capable of recording from 24 to more than 900 frames per second (fps); at 4096×2160 resolution, up to 1,000 fps.
The Phantom Flex4K will support three distinct in-camera workflows to address different production styles. Its uncompressed raw format ensures the fastest high-speed workflow on-set and maximum quality and versatility for postproduction. Alternatively, compressed files can be recorded for a simplified workflow directly out of the camera. 2X 3G-SDI video outputs are also available and compatible with the industry’s latest field recorders.
The full 4K Super 35mm sensor can be captured, and the files can be saved at full resolution or at 2K resolution for a rich, over-sampled image. Sync-sound frame rates and timecode are fully supported. For high-speed capture, it’s possible to record up to 1,000 fps at 4K resolution of 4096×2160, up to 2,000 fps when windowed down to 1920×1080, and more than 3,000 fps at 1280×720.
Another notable feature of the camera system is the new on-camera control interface, still in development. All capture, playback, and save parameters will be set from the built-in menu on the right side of the camera body; no separate software connection is necessary. Shortcuts are available for popular functions, and multiple user presets allow a quick setup. Monitoring, playback, and save controls will be available from both sides of the camera.
Additional high performance features include:
- Phantom CineMag IV support
- Up to 64 GB of internal memory
- 2x 3G-SDI outputs configured as independent 4:4:4 1080p signals or used together to monitor the full 4K image
- Component viewfinder output
- Several 12V and 24V accessory outputs
- Integrated battery mount
- Sync connector to simplify 3D capture
- GB Ethernet port for software operation
- Built-in Bluetooth enables wireless control up to 100 m with Phantom RCU
- Lens mount interchangeable between PL, Canon EF, and Nikon F/G standards
Vision Research plans to start delivery later this year.