NAB 2016: Deluxe Extends 4K/UHD Services to Facilitate HDR Content Management and Delivery
Deluxe Entertainment Services Group’s (SU4414) multiscreen and Over-the-Top (OTT) media management and delivery platform, Deluxe OnDemand, now provides key workflow capabilities to enable distributors and programmers to quickly and easily participate in the next wave of 4K/UHD with High Dynamic Range (HDR) content.
Deluxe OnDemand now supports the massive file management, compression, packaging, playback testing, and optimized delivery unique to HDR content. Unlike the first generation of 4K/UHD content, known as Ultra High Definition or Ultra HD, HDR introduces a significant level of complexity to ensure that the higher resolution, greater luminance, and expanded color gamut renders properly on playback devices.
“Deluxe has developed a complete workflow and infrastructure to help clients bring HDR to market while taking that investment burden off of them,” said Brett Belinsky, President of Deluxe Delivery Operations. “Today, we’re able to address HDR from point of origin to delivery under one roof, to ensure that distributors are able to deliver the right file optimized for their network, platform, and even specific devices, and that consumers get an experience that delivers on the promise of HDR.”
Working with Deluxe OnDemand, clients can deliver 4K/UHD content to the new HDR television sets just entering the market and consumer devices that support the format without investing in new infrastructure or nascent technologies. The solution includes the following capabilities for HDR-enablement:
- Ingest and management of massive source material; file size that can be as large as 10 Terabytes for a feature-length movie
- Support for HDR-10 and Dolby Vision
- H.265 HEVC compression
- MPEG-DASH Adaptive Bit Rates (ABRs), optimized for streaming over today’s networks
- Extensive playback testing lab to verify and fine tune the end user experience across a wide range of devices and consumer electronics manufacturers
- Multiple delivery options including direct to CDN or OTT streaming to the end device.
Deluxe OnDemand is a component of Deluxe’s comprehensive delivery solutions ecosystem, which offers content preparation and delivery for home entertainment, theatrical, linear and OTT.