NAB 2016: TVU Networks Enables Live, Remote, Multi-Camera Production via Public Internet
TVU Networks has released TVU RPS (Remote Production System), a new, alternative solution for live, remote, multi-camera news and sports coverage.
Traditionally, major broadcast and sporting events are produced using on-site production trucks and a large number of production crews at the location. However, a mobile production truck with full crew and dedicated transmission equipment can be an expensive and complex proposition. That changes with the official launch of TVU RPS.
TVU RPS allows for the production of a live, multi-camera program in a remote location using mainly a broadcaster’s existing control room in their studio and a public Internet connection from the field. The TVU RPS transmitter encodes up to four synchronized SDI sources and transmits high-quality and low-latency IP video from the remote location to a studio-based receiver. The receiver, in turn, outputs four synchronized SDI outputs. By utilizing existing in-house production staff and equipment at the studio, a broadcaster no longer needs its own production crew in the field, saving significant cost in producing a remote, multi-camera live shot.
In addition, TVU RPS provides a low-latency, return video feed from the studio to the field as well as IFB. Control and metadata data can be sent to and from the remote site, including teleprompter, tally light, GPS and location specific metadata (e.g. scoring information, etc.).
TVU Networks CEO Paul Shen said, “While mobile production trucks are fairly common, the operational cost of constantly deploying vehicles, equipment, crews and travel can be prohibitive. With TVU RPS, broadcasters can achieve the same objectives of remote production for live coverage but at a much lower cost without the need for an expensive, dedicated fiber link. By utilizing a broadcaster’s studio production infrastructure and existing high-speed Internet connections at the remote location, large groups of on-site production crews are no longer required, allowing broadcasters to expand video coverage of more events and regional sports.
“TVU RPS features technology developed from other proven TVU IP solutions, including our uplink transmitters and TVU Grid video content switching, routing and distribution,” continued Shen. “We’ve migrated that application knowledge into the TVU RPS encoder and decoder solution. It will transform the way live sports and live remote video are produced.”
TVU RPS supports both 1080i/720p HD as well as NTSC and PAL formats. The system uses TVU’s revolutionary Inverse Statmux Plus (IS+) transmission algorithm for high-quality, low latency transmission in either CBR or VBR modes. The system also features a simple web interface for monitoring and controlling all aspects of the transmission, including real-time previews of all-four channels, current bit-rate and latency.
TVU will showcase all of its solutions, designed to help organizations fully leverage the extraordinary power of IP for video broadcast, in Booth #SU4405 during NAB, to be held from April 16-21 at the Las Vegas Convention Center.
- TVU One is the company’s fifth-generation live mobile IP newsgathering transmitter. It delivers the same transmission resiliency, performance, picture quality and sub-second latency of a full-size backpack transmitter in a substantially smaller and lighter form factor. TVU One features TVU Networks’ patented Inverse Statmux Plus (IS+) transmission algorithm, Smart VBR technology, and the TVU264 video codec. It’s available with embedded modems and can transmit simultaneously over multiple mediums, including cellular, microwave, MIMO microwave mesh, Ka-band and Ku-band satellite, BGAN, WiFi, and Ethernet.
- TVU Grid, an IP video distribution, routing and switching system gives broadcasters the ability to seamlessly switch live IP video content and share live streams between remote locations. TVU Grid removes the walls from broadcast stations, empowering users to distribute or collect content with just the click of a button.
- The company’s TVU Anywhere app turns an iPhone or Android device into a live video transmitter. Designed to turn your portable smart device or laptop instantly into a transmitter, TVU Anywhere enables reporters to instantly capture and transmit footage from anywhere at any time. TVU Anywhere is easy to use – just download the app to a smartphone, tablet or laptop, open the application and start transmitting video. TVU Anywhere uses a 3G/4G/LTE wireless connection and WiFi when available to transmit live video to a TVU Receiver.
- TVU MLink live video uplink transmitter brings cellular 3G/4G LTE transmission capabilities to satellite and microwave vehicles, vans and trucks. Designed for fixed deployment, MLink is a one RU rack unit that is capable of aggregating the transmission signals from multiple transmission mediums simultaneously, including cellular, satellite, microwave, WiFi and Ethernet.
- TVUMe is an online video marketplace where broadcasters can sell and trade recorded video content and sell live video streams from a simple interface. Users can buy video content from other broadcasters, freelancers and independent production crews from around the world. Additionally, production crews can use the TVUMe online service to list production services and equipment for future booking, providing broadcasters with access to professional video crews around the globe.