Red Hot Elemental Takes Virtual Route to the Show
Elemental has announced at IBC that it provided the encoding solution for a live streamed, 360˚ video concert. The event held in Berlin on Tuesday captured the Red Hot Chili Peppers live in concert at the Kraftwerk Berlin, and gave fans at the venue and across Germany, Austria, and Switzerland an unprecedented view of the band and the event. The show was the first live concert in Germany to be delivered as a 360˚ virtual reality streaming experience.
The concert was captured by four Nokia OZO 360˚ virtual reality cameras, each of which included eight 2K x 2K video sensors to produce a full spherical output. An Elemental Live 4K encoder produced the live HD stream for delivery to YouTube. Viewers were able to experience the 360˚ stream on devices like the Samsung Gear VR, or iOS and Android phones using Google Cardboard and the YouTube app. Chrome, Firefox, Opera, and Edge browsers supported viewing in 360˚. The cameras were placed on stage with the band, in the first row, and above the audience to provide unique panoramic views of the show.
The event was staged as part of Deutsche Telekom’s Street Gigs concert series, and coincided with IFA, Germany’s leading technology trade fair. Google Cardboard VR rigs were available at IFA, which increased demand for the VR content.
“The staging and the VR capture were set, but the producers were concerned that their existing solution could not encode the output to get a solid, reliable stream at a reasonable bit budget,” said Mark Horchler, International Marketing Manager – EMEA for Elemental. “We have proven VR encoding solutions, running in software on standard appliances, and with just a week to go to the event we were called in.
“We shipped in equipment, proved we could deliver what we promised, and were ready to go for the gig,” Horchler added. “Providing acceptable encoding of VR content is demanding, because of the need to provide an absolutely consistent, perfectly synchroniSed image wherever you turn your head, but we have proven technology ready to go.”
Video production for the concert was provided by tv square together with IKARUS in cooperation with Cologne-based veedel Media. The four OZO cameras were switched live, with the output fed to an Elemental Live encoder.
Elemental at IBC 2016
At IBC, Elemental is demonstrating its full product suite as well as a host of Amazon Web Services’ offerings for media and entertainment broadcast and OTT applications at stand 5.C80. Elemental highlighting powerful encoding that allows for creation and delivery of UHD HEVC outputs in real time for immersive virtual reality applications.
Unified Video Infrastructure:
- High Bitrate Encoding – Support for high-quality HEVC 4:2:2 10-bit encoding at up to 80 Mbps or AVC High 4:2:2 Intra Profile 10-bit encoding to enable content origination workflows.
- DVB/DTH Linear Solution – Reference architecture demonstrates end-to-end linear DVB-S/S2 broadcast to set-top boxes paired with multiscreen distribution. A unified headend solution enables customers to deploy 24/7 linear services quickly and with reduced risk.
- Live Channel Playout – A software-based approach to linear 24/7 broadcast channel creation with dynamic content control and motion graphic overlay reduces video workflow complexity, improves resiliency and lowers operational costs.
o Dynamic Content Control – Seamless input switching between real-time inputs and file-based assets, regardless of resolution or frame rate eases the path to linear 24/7 channel creation, including support for UHD channels.
o Motion Graphic Overlay – Overlay static and motion graphics at 60 frames per second on HD or UHD video outputs to create a broadcast channel experience and advertising opportunity.
- Statistical Multiplexing – Software-based, m Migration to the Cloud:
- Amazon S3 Integration – Elemental solutions leverage tight integration with Amazon cloud storage for cloud-based broadcast channel deployments. Support for live channel playout and VOD content storage includes hosting of motion graphics and file-based video assets.
- Enhanced Output Capabilities – HEVC 4:2:2 and AVC High 4:2:2 Intra Profile outputs are now available from the Elemental Cloud platform, making possible the highest quality video workflows on any infrastructure.
- Amazon Direct Connect – Accelerate and optimize large-scale media asset transfer to the AWS Cloud with Amazon Direct Connect for file-based video processing using Elemental Cloud services. Direct Connect also lends stability to live video sources for improved reliability of live channel solutions.
Live Broadcasting from the Cloud – Instantly create 24/7 live broadcast channels and enable multi- channel linear TV services using the most flexible infrastructure.
- Amazon S3 Transfer Acceleration – Achieve faster upload time with accelerated date transfer to the desired S3 bucket location anywhere around the globe. S3 transfer acceleration enables content to be delivered to Elemental Cloud for time sensitive workflows including news and sports. Next-Generation Technology:
- Advanced Video Management – Encoder management software offers the features and functionality required by pay TV operators for large-scale linear workflows, including schedule automation.
- SDI over IP – Support for SMPTE 2022-6 uncompressed video over IP and SMPTE 2022-5 forward error correction allows the migration from SDI to IP transport for premium video content.
- High Dynamic Range – HDR 10, HLG HDR, and Dolby Vision implementations illustrate improved color space, deeper luminance and increased bit depth for enhanced image quality.
- Virtual Reality – Powerful encoding allows for creation and delivery of UHD HEVC outputs in real time for immersive virtual reality applications.
- Dynamic Ad Insertion – Reach more viewers with targeted and personalized ad content and video delivery with server-side ad decisioning.
- Multiscreen Monetisation – Just-in-time packaging, just-in-time DRM, live-to-VOD and other time- shifted TV services enable video distributors to realise new revenue opportunities.